Thursday, November 1, 2012

Why I write about my health - Post 1

So I decided to take the challenge from Wego Health and do 30 posts in 30 days for national Health Blog Post Month #NHBPM.  I'm not sure if I'm ambitious, or just crazy, but either way here I go.

Today is November 1. T1Day.  There couldn't be a better way to honor Diabetes Awareness Month than to blog about my health, or something related, every day for the next thirty days.

To be honest, I don't know why I write about my health.  In fact, I just barely started blogging (this is officially my 8th post).  So let me tell you why I believe it is important to write about my health.  I believe it can encourage others.  There have been so many times in my life, health and non-health related, that knowing there was someone else who had been through the same or similar thing helped me to get through it.  Knowing that someone else made it and didn't give up is so encouraging.  If writing about my health challenges and successes can give that sense of connection to someone else, then it is all worth it. 

Another good reason to write about my health is... well let's face it, I'm not getting any younger.  I used to be able to rattle off all sorts of historical data about myself, family, friends, weird facts, movie quotes, etc. etc.   Lately, the movie quotes are still good, but the medical history, especially when it comes to date specifics, is getting a little fuzzy.  Writing about my health gives me something to go back to so I can look for patterns and act on them as needed by making changes to help me be better.  There is nothing quite like being a frog in boiling water just to realize that you've been in the pot for weeks and could have hopped out long ago.  I'm hoping that by writing I can avoid being a frog.  I don't like frogs.  They give me the heebie jeebies...  even if they are blue.

He is kinda cute though.  I found him here.

So why do YOU write about your health?  Do you?  Have you thought about it?  Hop to it! (sorry)

2 comments:

  1. "Knowing that someone else made it and didn't give up is so encouraging" - YES!

    Great post. I especially love the movie quotes bit - When Im old and gray I suspect I won't recognize my grandkids but I will be able to quote any number of movies.

    Keep up the writing - love to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome post. I have impressed to read that. I will share it with all of my twitter follower. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete