Tuesday, May 17, 2016

2016 Diabetes Blog Week: The Other Half of Diabetes



Today's Diabetes Blog Week prompt is:

We think a lot about the physical component of diabetes, but the mental component is just as significant.  How does diabetes affect you or your loved one mentally or emotionally?  How have you learned to deal with the mental aspect of the condition?  Any tips, positive phrases, mantras, or idea to share on getting out of a diabetes funk? 


If I were to have answered this question a few years ago, it would have been a different answer than I'm going to give today.

As time has progressed, and I've gotten more in tune with my diabetes, I have a better sense of when a low or high blood sugar is going to effect my mood and attitude.  Not every time do I get grumpy when I'm high.  Sometimes those nasty highs sneak up on me and I don't know a problem until it's time to eat and when I check, my meter says 356.

The emotional impact that I didn't have then, but have now (and should have expected) is the "I just can't do this another day" feeling.  And the "I try and I try and I still fail" thoughts.  Or the "Maybe if I had just been a little more diligent" guilt.

All of these, and more, play out, and quite often when one hits, the others hit at the same time.

So what do I do to pull myself back and keep going?

  • I have allowed myself that ugly cry.  It's amazing how cleansing to the soul tears can be.
  • I warn my husband that I'm about to go off and it isn't his fault and he can't fix it... then I go off.
  • I do something that I KNOW I have more control over.  Weed pulling is one.  Now before you say, "How do you control weeds from growing?" I can't.  But what I CAN do is clear a section of my yard and feel the success of personally making something look better.
  • I also get together with others who get it.  I have attended every Diabetes UnConference so far and the emotional renewal I have after each one is incomparable to anything else.
I believe that the mental and emotional aspect of diabetes is way too often overlooked, even by those who have it.  I know I did.

I'm working to fix that now.  

I tell myself that it's okay to be angry, hurt, sad, happy, goofy, and most of all... it's okay to be ME.



5 comments:

  1. Hmmm, never thought of giving M a warning that I'm about to lose it. Good idea!
    I love making straight lines with the mower. That, I can control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea warning your hubby first, I need to do that haha. I'm hoping to make it to the UnConference some year, hopefully I will get to meet you then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I am warning Sheryl I am about to lose it, well between now and the next 41 years. Fair warning.

    LOL

    I referred your blog to the TUDiabetes blog page for the week of May 16, 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those big ugly crys can be so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so good to give ourselves permission to have feelings.

    ReplyDelete