Friday, November 16, 2012

Written in Granite - Post 16

I try to find inspiration in everything around me.  This is one that I keep on my desk.

A long time ago, in a land not too far, and also very far, from here, I lived with many a close friend, and one evil boss. Nope.. I'll save that story for later.  Let me clarify a little about this land, it will help with today's post. 

This 'land', as I will refer to it as, was my last job.  I had been there for a little over 8 years when on a Friday afternoon at 3pm we were all told that our department was relocating about 15 miles away and would be fully under new management.  We were told we could keep our jobs for a 60% cut in pay (..yes.. reduced BY 60% not to 60%) and loss of health benefits for a minimum of 1-2 years.  We were given two weeks to think about it.  I had been diagnosed just 6 months earlier and there was no way I could go without benefits, but figured I would look around to see what was out there before I fully committed.  I'm glad I did because I have been with my current job ever since. 

One of the locations that my office did billing for had a weekly newsletter.  In this newsletter were the happenings of the facility and special recognition of employees or others.  Typical newsletter.  At the bottom of the back page there was always a quote or saying that was meant to encourage or inspire.  One week this was the saying:


I printed it out, laminated it, and taped it to my wall.  I made an extra copies and put them in my wallet, car, on my bathroom mirror, etc.  I could barely turn around without seeing this statement.  One of the benefits of working in the Land was that I got to know a lot of good people.  One client's family owned a granite quarry.  To give back and show appreciation she would have your favorite statement engraved in granite.  She did this for the people at the location she dealt with the most so I had no hopes of getting one.  After all, who likes their bill collector?  Imagine my surprise when one day she called me and asked me what I wanted engraved on mine.  After thanking her for thinking of me I told her it was an easy decision, and read her the saying.  Little did I know, that a few years later I would have to remind myself daily to read this and follow it for my new former employers. 

But isn't it the truth about people?  Especially when it comes to Diabetes?  Unreasonable expectations of glucose levels and A1C's by some health care providers or family and friends.  Illogical, and down right wrong, suggestions of miracle cures and treatments.  Self-centered people who tell you that you brought it on yourself or that they could never be diabetic because of ________ (fill in the blank with your favorite line).  Should we forgive them?  YES!  Should we leave it at that? NO!  I feel we should forgive and educate.  You with me?

What would you have engraved in granite to inspire you every day?

No comments:

Post a Comment