Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Family Reunion #DBlogCheck

Can you believe that it has been a year since the last #DBlogCheck??

I was scrolling through my blog posts a little while ago and came across my post from last year.  I know that time flies when you're having fun, and changing infusion sets, but A YEAR?! 

Today is somewhat of a family reunion.  Ya.. I like that.  Every year my husband's family has a reunion the second Saturday in July.  I was not raised with annual reunions like that.  In fact, I don't ever recall having an official "reunion".  My family would get together every Thanksgiving and Christmas for dinner and games.  Nothing worked off dinner and readied you for pie like a game of horseshoes with my grandpa.  I bet you can still see the scars in the yards from where the poles were placed.  My husband's family has done a reunion every year.  It is a perfect time to catch up with everyone, meet new loves and children, pick on cousins, and try to get as many hugs as possible.  Not to mention all the food!

Not everyone in the DOC (Diabetes Online Community) is related by blood or marriage (some are and some will be), but that doesn't mean we aren't family.  Alana of Life on T1 put it best in this post:
"And that's what a chosen family is. It's a group of people who are there for you no matter what happens, who are there and they say "I get it, I understand, me too.""
Let's view today as our DOC Family Reunion.  Let's catch up with everyone, check in to see how we are all doing, and pass around those virtual hugs.  After all, you can never get too many hugs.

Bear hugs for all
Image credit
 
 


16 comments:

  1. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS!!!
    ((((CHECK!!))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, Jenn, and the idea of a family reunion makes #dblogcheck day even more special. Check!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #dblogcheck I so love virtual DOC reunions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part about this family reunion isn't just catching up with family members you haven't seen in a while but also meeting some you never new existed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love this!!! {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}} to you!!

    #dblogcheck

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful sentiment! I love this reunion idea :)

    #dblogcheck
    www.CandyHeartsBlog.org

    ReplyDelete
  7. “Family isn’t about whose blood you have in you. Family’s about the people who cared about you and took care of you. We’re not the same blood, but I love my little brother. We’ve taken care of him because he needed us to, and that makes us more family than anything.”

    That's right, I just quoted South Park. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by to say hi! :) #dblogcheck

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really love this post. D-Community = Family in so many ways. Hope the "real" family reunion with your husband's side was a great one, and thanks for sharing this awesome perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how we have created so many community holidays of sorts to connect everyone. I wonder how many online communities do this kind of stuff?! Probably not many! That makes us super awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn, I'm sorry I missed this up until now. It's been a crazy week. But that does not diminish my love for your post! Very well said. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete