Monday, May 12, 2014

If I could change the world



If I could change the diabetes world I would start with myself.

I would change how I talk to myself.

I would stop telling myself that it's my fault and I should have done better.  While it's true that there are times it truly is my fault (that darn package of Oreos really wouldn't have gone stale) it is NOT my fault that my pancreas retired early. 

I would stop telling myself that I am high maintenance and not worth it.  The expense is so high and that money could be used for so many other things.  It's true, I could think of a hundred other things I could spend that money on, but none of it would make a difference if I wasn't here.

I would start telling myself that it's OK to have days where diabetes is put on the back burner, just as long as I don't turn the burner completely off.

I would start telling myself to stand up for myself more.  To speak up when I am confronted with a diabetes myth and correct it to the best of my ability. 

There are so many different things we do each day that can change the world in which we live in.  Even if it is only the world within our own walls that gets changed.

At church this Sabbath our speaker talked about being either a Thermostat Person or a Thermometer Person.  A thermometer person reflects the temperature of the room or situation, but a thermostat person can change it.

I'm working on being more of a thermostat.  Will you join me?

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jenn! I think I need to work on being more of a thermostat too. Thanks for helping me see another way to think about things :)

    ReplyDelete